Comments: The Great Gilded Depression Age Pendulum Who Knows Thing

*applause*

Great essay, Anne.

Posted by Elayne Riggs at January 15, 2004 09:07 AM

I second Elayne - excellent post. Of course I like long, rambling posts that actually "arrive" somewhere at the end. Unlike plenty of other blogs that ramble right off to nowhere.

I will however say that I do believe the Republicans are on a continuum between naive and evil. And, much like your pendulum analogy, they swing from pole to pole depending on the subject, the day of the week, the phase of the moon and how much my old football injuries hurt. And very often, of course, they take on a somewhat quasi-quantum state and are both naive and evil.

Anyway, I'm glad I found your blog. Great reading!!

Posted by Charles2 at January 15, 2004 11:52 AM

Thank you, thank you. For our next trick, we're going to...well, I really don't know.

Charles? If you understand that calm, rational Republicans might see Democrats as swinging between evil and hopelessly naive as well, you'll be able to understand both sides of the arguments.

Posted by Anne at January 15, 2004 12:45 PM

An excellent summation of the reality of the economy.

In the same vein, if you look at the Consumer Price Index the most volatile categories, gas & food, are pulled out to produce the "core" index.

Poor people spend an inordinate amount of their money on these volatile categories. The middle class and above may be able to exist based on the core index, but the life of poor people is dominated by being able to get to work and putting food on the table.

Winter is the cruelest time for the poor. The prices of food and fuel always rise in the winter at the same time the utility bills bloom.

Posted by Bryan at January 15, 2004 03:40 PM

Here's my thinking on where we end up - we go way right before we get better. The whole world starts to look like America in the late 18th century - cheap labor conservatives are running the joint through multi-nationals, which are to fascism as Al Queda is to Islamic extremist terrorism - stateless agents of death. The workers are pushed to a certain point, the system snaps and we move left. World-wide unionization, happier times.

All the social issues you mentioned don't matter and, in fact, never really mattered. They're a cynical diversion that the right uses to gain power by playing on people's worst emotions. They get them absolutely nowhere when the struggle goes worldwide and so they're ditched.
Free trade? Trade mystifies me for the most part because it's so mired in politics. It's obvious to all that fair trade is the way to go and what will probably shake out after the big snap, but what I don't know about that could fill a small African country.

Or, you know, not.

Posted by eRobin at January 15, 2004 07:42 PM

I know how you feel, eRobin. Things will either go to h*ll or they won't.

Certainly the way the media makes it sound today, we're heading toward a resurgence of conservatism, but the media can fool you.

Posted by Anne at January 16, 2004 03:02 PM

Should have been 19th century in my last post.

Posted by eRobin at January 18, 2004 03:41 PM

I figured it was a typo, eRobin.

Posted by Anne at January 19, 2004 10:19 AM