Comments: Icy Monday

On Ashcroft: "somewhere overseas" happens to be Vienna today and I just heard the guy say those things on our TV here. Only he didn't say "in the past."
(I will se if I can get hold of a transcript.)

Posted by Bengt at January 26, 2004 12:04 PM

On the Yee non-espionage charges: I can't find any reference that says whether Yee's adultery charges are mirrored by charges against his alleged "partner in crime" who is also liable under UCMJ.

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at January 26, 2004 01:56 PM

The "story about some comedian" was about Samantha Marson of South Tyneside, who "became aggressive when she was told she could not catch the plane" and "made threats towards staff that she had a bomb in her luggage." None of that sounds terribly funny to me. Sounds more like she acted like an idiot.

Posted by Elayne Riggs at January 27, 2004 08:10 AM

Bengt and Elayne - This is why it's good to have readers. They can fill in the bits I don't know.

Bengt, I missed the beginning of the radio story about Ashcroft, that's why I didn't know where he was.

Elayne, I agree that that's not funny or very smart.

Jonathan - Some of us discussed that when the story first broke but to the best of my knowledge, if the other person involved is being charged in any way, the media has never mentioned it.

Posted by Anne at January 27, 2004 09:11 AM

I wound up doing a whole riff on Marson's idiocy yesterday, in a way-too-long post about humor in general. I was apparently conflating Marson with someone else - apparently two idiotic Englishwomen have done this in different airports in the space of a week! My British husband says it's been well known in England for far longer than it has in this country that you just don't joke about bombs in an airport. They're utter morons.

Posted by Elayne Riggs at January 28, 2004 09:11 AM

You'd think that absolute common sense would tell people this, but it doesn't.

On the other hand, it occurs to me that when people get nervous (and all of those people standing around with guns can make you nervous), they don't always demonstrate good sense.

Posted by Anne at January 28, 2004 10:48 AM