Comments: Good grief.

You're way ahead of me. I wrote 523 entries in the last 2 years. 1,300 is impressive.

Posted by Lawrence Krubner at May 7, 2004 11:53 PM

Well, let's not confuse quantity with quality or anything. :)

Posted by Anne at May 8, 2004 08:15 AM

No, that was understood. I wasn't suggesting your stuff was necessarily good. In fact 1,300 posts in 2 years nearly guarantees a few bad posts, yes? No, I was complimenting you on your consitency, which is implied by the quantity. In contrast to you, I've had some long breaks. The longest was 3 months. I've also had a few month longs breaks. I'm impressed with anyone who can write on a regular basis for 2 years. That's a form of quality in its own right. Truly consistent writers are nearly as rare as genius writers. And, from what I've read of your stuff, you do write quite a lot that is quite good.

Posted by Lawrence Krubner at May 9, 2004 11:47 AM

#1 - Forget the knee-jerk repetition of Lefty talking points. Those early posts needed to be removed from the public view for grammar and punctuation errors alone. I'm not even mentioning the typographical errors caused by pure carelessness.

#2 - Taking a break is good. It helps you maintain perspective. It's very difficult to maintain any degree of objectivity when you get too close to what's going on.

#3 - To be honest, I see no virture in being prolific. I don't see that the ability to babble endlessly about things I barely understand is praiseworthy.

I could just as easly produce a thousand words or more on interstate travel, the iniquities of slot machines made without levers to be pulled, or talking in libraries as about current events. If quantity is the aim, then a lack of an "expert" opinion can be an asset when you're writing (as an amateur).

(Fullyt half of what I post related to politics or current events is stream-of-consciousness musing as I try to decide what I think about things, so if I were an expert, I'd also be posting less because I'd already know the answers to the questions I ask myself.)

I'm suffering from Headline Fatigue these days and will be taking a break myself. I'm sure it's wonderful to be informed, but there's no denying I was a lot happier before I knew what was going on the world.

I'm going to go spend an extended vacation at Blandings. It's the best cure I know of for an overdose of reality.

Posted by Anne at May 10, 2004 12:42 PM

I tend to be agree with Lawrence, Anne. I've found daily blogging, even if it's just one entry, to be very good discipline, it helps me to have a little daily habit to maintain stability. But if you're not having fun doing it, there's certainly no reason to feel obligated. What's Blandings?

Posted by Elayne Riggs at May 11, 2004 09:19 PM

If it were just one daily entry, I wouldn't be having a problem. :) The longer I do this, the more I write every day.

Conscience having nagged me into a reluctant vow to spend more work hours working, I'm afraid my output is going to drop off dramatically in the near future. I'll have to blog during those evening hours I can spare from, you know, having a life.

P.G. Wodehouse. Blandings Castle. Jeeves and Wooster. (Yes, that's where the "Ask Jeeves" idea for the web came from.) Psmith and Mike. In my Top Five list of all-time favorite authors. I have every book of his I've been able to lay my hands on (You can get a sample of his writing from the stories here.) and at least once a year I treat myself by sitting down to re-read them all over again.

Posted by Anne at May 11, 2004 09:30 PM