Comments: Spammail

I like the Lynn Sweet article "American don't have an entitlement to cheap oil." Of course, adjusted for inflation, we're still no where near the 1981 price peak. But it would good for the country if we all got serious about fuel economy before we got back to the 1981 level.

Posted by Lawrence Krubner at June 2, 2004 10:55 AM

You can't hate a column than includes the line "On bad days, the president himself is beginning to sound like an unmanned drone."

The bayonet thing is interesting, but I wonder if body armor had anything to do with it. Tom Paxton's classic bayonet-training story includes "Anything you do with the bayonet must be accompanied with short, animal-like cries. Along these lines: AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH. This is to frighten your enemy. It's not enough, they figure, to run two hundred yards across an open field and wave a bayonet in his face, you gotta yell at him to. I can see myself in a foxhole going 'Ohmigod. Here comes someone with a bayonet. What'll I do if he yells at me?!?'"

The overall argument is interesting, too, though the danger of making small territories autonomous and self-governing is that they might not want to go back to being part of a whole. That was China's problem, 19th-20th century.

Thanks for the planet story, too: Science is fun, because it's never the same twice.....

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at June 2, 2004 05:28 PM

I don't read the Slinky thing literally - as in watching someone literally falling down some steps. I read it more like watching the Bush administration's Iraq dream come flying apart at the seams...thekeez

Posted by Jeff Keezel at June 3, 2004 08:05 AM

If I were going to use a bayonet, I'd certainly be screaming as I charged forward...but it would be in terror, not in a futile attempt to make myself seem ferocious.

I'm not particularly coordinated. The first thing I usually do upon picking up a sharp object is cut myself.

Posted by Anne at June 3, 2004 08:41 AM

Anne - I think you're on to something..my experience (although not in actual combat) is screaming when doing fixing bayonets and doing bayonet drills is more to steel the individual as opposed to frighten the enemy (which maybe a secondary benefit)..when you're screaming and running, it's hard to think about how this may suck..

usually, charging with bayonet is a sign of desparation (see Chamberlain and the 20th Maine at Gettysburg)..but generally only the successful ones get reported into lore..

Actually, I did see a guy get stuck with a bayonet..but that was from his wife who came by to "discuss" the affair she discovered he was having..and he had one on his desk..

Of course, I did get hit with shrapnel, but that's another story..

As for oil, good story..let the market work..higher prices will change behaviors..if it wasn't for this damn election cycle..

As for Iraq, don't assume having a (US friendly) independent Kurd state is not in the long range plan..think we have forgotten about Turkey's decision not to let the 4th ID maneuver through their space to attack from the North and seal off Syria as well as bottle up some of the Baathists who are now causing us problems? think again..

Posted by Col Steve at June 4, 2004 02:45 PM

Exactly, Col Steve. I've never fixed a bayonet, but I've been scared a few times and even I know that if you make enough noise, you start adrenaline flowing in your body and can overcome fear.

Posted by Anne at June 9, 2004 08:18 AM