Comments: Bye, bye, George

As usual, the question is "jumped or pushed" and "do they have a replacement in mind"? That's what the beltway-pundits/bloggers are probably going nuts over now.

The other question is "does it matter"? For me the answer is "only if, at some time in the near future, he uses his new lack of position to tell us something interesting." Until then, yawn.

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at June 3, 2004 01:40 PM

I'd like to think he'd write a book, but I'm not sure Tenet is the kind to kiss and tell.

I guess it depends on how mad he is at the Bush Administration, doesn't it?

Posted by Anne at June 3, 2004 02:41 PM

I'm not sure that anger is necessary for him to write something which adds significantly to our understanding of the situation, given his remarkable position in recent history. It would probably help speed the writing process and sales, but it would make the resulting work a bit harder to interpret.

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at June 3, 2004 09:05 PM

I wasn't so much thinking of him writing an 'angry expose' as considering that it takes a lot of energy to write a book. There needs to be a pretty solid reason why a non-writer would undertake such a task. I think anger fuels the creation of a lot of "tell-all" books.

My "kiss and tell" was more a reference to him writing a book that exposes the bones of the CIA than anything to do with the Bush Administration. I'm sure he has a good eye for the problems and failings of the organization, but I don't view him as the kind to stand up publicly and take the Agency apart. And if he doesn't do that...what's he going to say in his book?

Posted by Anne at June 4, 2004 08:31 AM

First, I suspect the upcoming Senate report would have done him in anyway.

Second, I doubt they'll be in any hurry to replace him given the election..look at what Clinton did..Woosley left in 1995 and Tenet was the acting director until Clinton nominated him in 1997 after his re-election (although he first wanted Anthony Lake and that didn't work out too well)..

Third, remember the CIA director is also the Director of Central Intelligence which means he is also the de facto head of all intelligence agencies (although the military and other organizations' intelligence organizations have dual chains)..so it would be interesting if Tenet, having been the Director through two different administrations, would write on that alone..I suspect given all the disclosure rules, he can't write anything of significant details..I think Woolsey has only edited books and not on intelligence per se..

Posted by Col Steve at June 6, 2004 10:37 PM

Col Steve - I have a minor passion for the subject and would, in fact, welcome a book from Tenet just discussing his service, no "tell-all" secrets or details required.

Posted by Anne at June 9, 2004 08:17 AM