Comments: Matters Of More Or Less Concern

As to the bit about Anne Coulter, you can agree she's the most over-the-top right-winger out there, yes? Hard for me to summon much sympathy.

Posted by Lawrence Krubner at July 28, 2004 11:22 AM

You read an amazing amount of news. Really. I don't know how you do it.

Posted by Lawrence Krubner at July 28, 2004 11:23 AM

In her defense (and I can't believe I'm defending her, but fair is fair), she had to assume that USAToday knew who and what she was, and how she wrote, when they hired her.

Thus, their 'discovery' that she writes muck-racking, name-calling trash should not have come as such a surprise to them.

There are plenty of commentators from both sides of the fence would would have done a thoughtful, intelligent job of deconstructing the other side's platform and arguments. If USAToday had been serious about offering a "both sides" view, they'd have hired some of them.

(Before work. During "down time" when I'm on the phone on hold or waiting for a call to connect. Lunch break. After work. Read fast. :) It's easy.)

Posted by Anne at July 28, 2004 01:45 PM

"Also, Gary Farber was guilty of referencing, 'Ad Hominem Tu Quoque' in the same comments string. I'm just saying. It's a bit suspicious, no?"

I kinda wish I knew what this meant. (While we're on usage, one of my pet peeves is people neglecting the perfectly good word "referring," for the fashionable, and terribly awkward "referencing." It's up there with using "impact" instead of "affect." However, my views will have no effect)

Posted by Gary Farber at July 29, 2004 09:13 AM

Nonsense. All opinions are welcome, although some opinions will be met with mockery.

As for the reference (it's the right word to use this time, I'm just certain), it's not really important. In an earlier, egotistical post, I was musing over the odd variety of search phrases that result in hits to my blog and "Ad Hominem Tu Quoque" came under discussion.

I mean, I wasn't dissing you or anything.

Posted by Anne at July 29, 2004 01:49 PM

Thanks for the explanation. Not having seen your earlier post, I wasn't able to make sense of the reference.

Posted by Gary Farber at July 30, 2004 01:36 AM

Gary, sometimes I'm just making jokes for my own amusement. Sorry to have been confusing!

Posted by Anne at July 30, 2004 07:01 PM