Comments: Trouble Everywhere

But I don't think that we -at least not I- say the Bush is a budding Hitler. No serious person would claim, for example, that Mr. Bush is trying to achive world domination by a master race and the annihilation of others. But I think it is fair to point out the uncanny similarities in tactics, rethorics and intellectual capacity. Hitler lied to the the German people and was successful for a long time. Bush (and Blair) have lied to their people and been successful. For the German people, their belief in the Big Lie ended in catastrophy. Where will the American and British belief in the Big Lie lead them?

Posted by Bengt O. at August 27, 2004 12:25 PM

And, pointing out that Bush's rhetorical and political strategies resemble Hitler's does not mean that the person making the comparison thinks he's a budding Hitler, either. Actually, the best new comparison I've seen recently was to Napleon III, "Prince President" and dismantler of the Third Republic. Still not perfect, but interesting.

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at August 27, 2004 12:43 PM

I had heard somewhere else (forget where???)about the "pork" problem with the current funding. And my first thought then as now is to wonder if it really might be an attempt to thwart the reckless war Bush started in Iraq by cutting off it's funding (by a congress too chicken to openly oppose the machinations of Bush).

Or am I giving congress too much credit?

Posted by AAA at August 27, 2004 09:55 PM

Go if you need to, recharge, we'll still be here when you get back!!

Posted by Elayne Riggs at August 28, 2004 11:38 AM

The problem, Bengt with making comparisons to someone like Hitler is that it clouds the issue with emotion. I think Jonathan's comparison to Napoleon is an interesting one, though.

(AAA, I think you're giving Congress too much credit, yes. :) The Defense budget has always been full of pork, like most budgets. I assume that this is either not an unusual percentage or that Congressmen, facing drastic cutbacks in other budgets, are turning to the Defense budget to ram through pet projects for their own voters.

Posted by Anne at August 29, 2004 10:17 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Elayne.

Posted by Anne at August 29, 2004 10:18 AM