Comments: Movie Ranting

I love it! You must have watched that AMC show about censorship last night too. :) My husband says it was one of those programs that made him want to throw stuff at the TV screen...

Posted by Elayne Riggs at April 27, 2005 02:39 PM

If I'd known the show was on, I'd have watched it, but I didn't. I'll keep an eye out for the repeats.

I'm glad it amused you, though.

Posted by Anne at April 27, 2005 03:54 PM

Actually, one of the great things about digital technology is that we will, eventually, have exactly the capacity to do everything you cite. Someday. If the lawyers and legislators don't muck it up.

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at April 28, 2005 03:39 AM

Jonathan - And then we can run around coving up all of the bare body parts on statues around the country?

Posted by Anne at April 28, 2005 01:34 PM

Well..... with high speed digital processing and GPS mapping, it would be possible to design either cameras or even, with nanotechnology, visors/goggles/glasses which would edit one's vision real-time to exclude or obscure stationary (or, with really good processing, moving) objects or images.

You could, for example, program your visor to replace all billboard advertising with rainbow colored clouds (or just the bad movie advertising, if you prefer to look at car and real estate ads).

In fact, it would make it possible to wear and display a wider range of clothing and body parts, knowing that most people would have decency settings on their visors. In the workplace this could be a fantastic corrective, for example, to clothing harrassment....

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at April 28, 2005 03:07 PM

Hey, I like your vision of the future best. I like the idea of "blanking out" billboards.

In fact....no, I don't have time for this, because on second thought, I just visualized an entire future of Political Correctness Run Mad in which everyone lives in a reality a little different from everyone else's and seventy percent of the population is on drugs to help them deal with the disconnect.

I'll be pondering this one for a week. :)

Posted by Anne at April 28, 2005 04:02 PM

It's really just another extension of phenomena we've already observed: physical cocooning, within neighborhoods or even homes (last year, never leaving home for anything was a stunt; next year it'll be in the lifestyle section); news segmentation and entertainment niche development; parallel education systems..... yeah, it's kind of ugly, and you're right, drugs will probably be necessary.

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at April 29, 2005 04:44 AM