Comments: Bad Language From Me

Mostly agree (and not just in self-defense), but I can't help but think that her children's names ("Track, Bristol, Willow, Piper and Trig") tell us something about her judgement and character.....

Posted by Ahistoricality at August 29, 2008 02:16 PM

Also, it's entirely probably that her gender, youth and attractiveness were part of McCain's political calculation: given her minimal track record, and the way she effectively neutralizes his own attacks on Obama, I find it hard to believe that he's not trying to leverage Historictm and charismatic into benefits for his campaign.

Posted by Ahistoricality at August 29, 2008 02:19 PM

In terms of your first comment, general meanness tempts me to agree--except that we've had male candidates for office who have children with unusual names and I don't remember it being a campaign issue.

IN terms of your second comment, I'd agree, IF the blog posts I'd read had been written to those matters. I know I can be a little trigger-happy where my hot-buttons are concerned, but, to quote one example, "American Street"--asking if she was his running mate or hired to jump out of his birthday cake--posts like that are the kind of thing I'm objecting to.

In other words, not posts where it's a matter of interpretation and subjective judgment as to what the poster intended to say.

Posted by Anne at August 29, 2008 03:52 PM

I really don't remember ever running across a politician at that level (or even close to it) with names quite this uniformly bad, or this many of them (actors and musicians, sure), but really it's mostly a tongue-in-cheek thing: if we tick off the "parents who give their kids freaky, cliched and stupid names" demographic, we're going down in flames..... it's a bipartisan issue, for sure.

Maybe I've just settled on a nice, narrow and fairl professional (also generally feminist) portion of the political blogosphere -- TPM and Sideshow account for a lot of my political browsing -- but I haven't seen what you have. I believe it, mind you (the TPM comments section is quite the rough-and-tumble, though not at a dKos level), but it hasn't filtered through my list yet.

The closest thing I've seen is comments pointing out that McCain seems to have a thing for pretty, younger women, having married two of them and now picked an otherwise underqualified one to be his running mate. I see that much more as a commentary on McCain, though.

I think the worst thing we could do is underestimate Palin, or McCain. We've been getting caught short by these so-called stupid Republicans for twenty years now, starting with Quayle.....

Posted by Ahistoricality at August 29, 2008 08:59 PM

I'm a bit behind in blog-reading, but fortunately almost all the Palin critiques I've come across so far deal with her amazing level of corruption (pretty astounding considering how relatively little time she's spent in office) rather than her looks.

Posted by Elayne Riggs at August 30, 2008 10:01 AM

Can I stick my head up my own ass too and pretend I don't know what's been done to Sarah Palin? Can I pretend like I don't know that Kos' site started the rumor that her youngest child is actually her daughter's child? Can I pretend that Joe Biden hasn't pronounced his opponent "good looking"? Can I pretend that Talking Points Memo is anything but a hatefest towards women?

NO I CAN'T.