Comments: Browsing

I'm more impressed with posthumous apologies/pardons/proclamations when they come with some kind of policy attached, or a specific repudiation of the policies which lead to the "error."

This one is awfully fuzzy: " The Church of England said Brown's statement reflected its position on Darwin but did not constitute an official apology.
....
The Church of England did not take an official stance against Darwin's theories, but many senior Anglicans reacted with hostility to his ideas, arguing against them at public debates."

So are they going to posthumously chastise Wilberforce, or repudiate him? When they do, call me.

In other news, after clicking through to the Palin picture, I noticed something in the "top stories" list: Dilbert speaks and he's serious.

Posted by Ahistoricality at September 16, 2008 01:08 PM

Jonathan - I got a little trigger-happy with deleting commment spam, but I did get to read your remarks about "moral hazard."

I don't like to be rude (really!), but "libertarian" is just another word for "nitwit." Anyone who has paid any attention at all to markets and market forces knows that an unregulated system is a recipe for disaster.

OTOH, McCain making re-regulation noises strikes me as just lip service to the idea that government should have a role in the country's economic health.

Posted by Anne at September 16, 2008 03:44 PM

P.S. I read the Dilbert thing. I was amused.

As far as the Official Apologies thing goes, I'm happy to see any progress on that front.

Posted by Anne at September 16, 2008 03:45 PM

Well, the concept of "moral hazard" isn't limited to libertarians by any means. It explains why insurance policies have deductables, for example.

Posted by Ahistoricality at September 16, 2008 09:01 PM

Okay, I can see I need to spend some time on Google myself. :) Although, now that I actually take a minute to think about it, the meaning and sense of the phrase are pretty clear.

Thanks!

Posted by Anne at September 17, 2008 08:15 AM

The folks at Crooked Timber are some of the better non-libertarian social/economic scientists out there, and I know they've done some posts about similar topics recently.

Posted by Ahistoricality at September 17, 2008 11:44 AM