Comments: Talk Like A Crazy Man Day!

(Do you ever worry that even though his campaign has been exposed as a series of lies, half-truths, and ridiculous vagaries, an astonishing 50% of the voting population is still going to vote for him?)

I always wonder that about Obama supporters!!!

Posted by Tom at September 20, 2008 08:41 AM

All politicians, I agree, tell half-truths on a lot of occasions, and many times "truth" can be situational--it depends on your perspective.

But that's not the kind of thing I'm talking about right now. McCain's campaign has been outed by the national press for serial lying. They've told so many outright lies that people are having trouble keeping up with them all.

If you're a McCain supporter, do you find it causes you any mental dissonance believing all of these conflicting things at the same time?

Posted by Anne at September 20, 2008 09:25 AM

Here's just one example (of many) that displays Obama's honesty and integrity. Please take a look.

I neither Republican or Democrat, but I don't think Republicans own the market on distorting and outright lying. I find it harder to get to the truth because of how both candidates deliver their messages.

Posted by Tom at September 20, 2008 10:36 AM

The McCain/Palin campaign has repeated lies well after they were conclusively shown to be false, produced ads that were debunked in minutes and had to be withdrawn, and has repeatedly and consistently stonewalled attempts to clarify or learn anything about Palin's background.

Obama's campaign has exaggerated a few claims, as near as I can tell, but said nothing that was fundamentally untrue.

I haven't seen anyone truly even-handed or open-minded who doesn't see that.

Posted by Ahistoricality at September 20, 2008 10:13 PM

So where does the line end on exaggeration and begin to be called lying? I was always taught that if I spoke half-truths, then it was known as lying. Both candidates are guilty of this to a great degree. I think you're rationalization is keeping you from being even-handed or open-minded on the topic.

Like I said, I'm neither Republican or Democrat, so I'm still deciding on who I will support in this election based on my personal morals and values. I'm being a lot more objective in my examination of these candidates than you may think.

Posted by Tom at September 21, 2008 08:29 AM

Both candidates are guilty of this to a great degree.

Even if I grant you that, and I really don't, it's not to an equal degree.

If it's all or nothing, and you're looking for purity, vote for Nader or Paul (though both of them are at least as dishonest about the implications and likely results of their ideas as any other politician), or stay home.

If you're seriously looking for a way to distinguish between McCain and Obama, you need to find some other way to evaluate them, because this one clearly isn't working for you.

Posted by Ahistoricality at September 21, 2008 10:24 AM