Comments: Pardon me?

Oh, come on: you've had complicated financial issues before. Are you going to tell me you never said to yourself "All I need is two more senators, and I'll have it licked!"?

For a brief, dark moment I was afraid McCain had really pulled a sweet move, forcing Obama to be reactive and reinforcing his maverick-non-partisan-country-first narrative. Then he asked to move the debate so as to preempt the VP debate, and it turned into a whimper.

Posted by Ahistoricality at September 24, 2008 06:35 PM

I'm thinking of just making a post about this idea I've been having for the past couple of days. I mean, what do you think the odds are that McCain is trashing his own campaign on purpose?

It seems to me that something weird has been going on ever since the Republican convention.

Posted by Anne at September 24, 2008 08:01 PM

What use is it for Obama to go back to Washington and just vote "present"?

Posted by Tom at September 24, 2008 08:11 PM

Nice, non-partisan shot, Tom. Real neutral. Obama's proposals on this were out days before McCain's and actually made sense.

Anne: I don't pretend to understand McCain. It seems like he's trying to be dramatic, rather than self-sabotaging, but he's doing it in such a way that appeals to a very different segment of the population than us. Low-information voters, they're called now, and they are the sort who remember the broad strokes and are swayed by saturation advertising.

Posted by Ahistoricality at September 24, 2008 09:18 PM

On the McCain self-destruction, you're not alone.

Posted by Ahistoricality at September 25, 2008 08:12 AM

I'm I understand what you're saying, Tom. Are you saying that Mr. Obama would not be able to make a substantive contribution to the solution of this problem? I have to say that I feel he's more likely to be of use than McCain.

Posted by Anne at September 25, 2008 09:12 AM

McCain has started and stopped so many different "themes" and "slogans" and tactics in the past few weeks that my head is spinning, Ahistoricality.

If it's not deliberate self-sabotage, it should be enough to convince any truly undecided voter that the man doesn't have the focus or the vision to lead this country. He clearly doesn't have a plan. Just a determination to win. Anyone considering voting for him should be worried because McCain isn't going to know what to do if he gets into office.

Posted by Anne at September 25, 2008 09:14 AM