Comments: Wanted: Sanity In Society

soundbite citizens

I love that phrase. I'm quoting you immediately.

Posted by Ahistoricality at October 10, 2008 04:00 PM

The Republican Party caters to the extremes... the religious nuts, the racists, the bigoted, pro-life nuts, etc. They play on the reactionary, ill-informed and willfully ignorant. Unfortunately, these people also vote.

Posted by Lab Kat at October 10, 2008 11:12 PM

Heehee! Fame! Thanks, Jonathan.

Posted by Anne at October 11, 2008 10:19 AM

I'm not saying, Lab Kat, that there aren't wingnuts in the Democratic Party.

But, as you seem to be saying, I find the extremes of the Repbulican Party to be more frightening - perhaps because a population of them have seemed to be running the Party for several years.

One of my real concerns (it was the original point of the blog entry, but got lost in other issues) is that the hate and anger that the McCain campaign is tapping into won't die down. That these people, having come so close to getting a major candidate in office who seems to agree with them--that these people will stay politically active and create an even large gap between Left and Right. Not just a political divide. A chasm.

Posted by Anne at October 11, 2008 10:24 AM

Oh, I agree there are extremists in both parties. However, you don't hear people screaming "Kill Sarah!" at Obama rallies.

Posted by Lab Kat at October 11, 2008 01:20 PM

However, you don't hear people screaming "Kill Sarah!" at Obama rallies.

Why not, I wonder?

Certainly there are folks on the left who are enraged, bewildered, hostile, hotheaded and big-mouthed.

Could it be the lack of hostility from the podium, the infrequency with which Democratic leaders engage in ad hominem attacks?

Posted by Ahistoricality at October 11, 2008 10:00 PM

Your last few posts on this subject have been outstanding, Anne. Thank you.

Posted by Elayne Riggs at October 12, 2008 08:08 AM

I think you're right, Jonathan. And you, Lab Kat. :) But my response got too long for a comment, so now I'm writing another blog entry on it.

Posted by Anne at October 12, 2008 08:58 AM