Comments: Funny!

I've been called humorless before....

I saw a lot of folks exercising their free speech rights: there's no right to march in peace or to be applauded for being a provocateur. (Let's run an Obama march in Texas or Georgia, and see what kind of reaction we get: want to lay odds on the problem going beyond hostile speech?) This is typical right-wing whining: they have been losing so they want affirmative action.

It's not even good satire or theater.

Posted by Ahistoricality at October 12, 2008 11:56 PM

I need to add that, as I watched the video, it really seemed like passersby were responding to something specific that we weren't being allowed to see. I'm thinking the provocation wasn't all one one side....

Posted by Anne at October 13, 2008 08:09 AM

I found a photo album which appears to be the same march. Some of their handmade signs are mildly obnoxious, but not what I'd call incendiary (though I don't know about invoking 9/11 in Manhattan: that might qualify as "fighting words" in a legal sense). There's an earlier march, too, with only a singler heckler cited (worse weather, smaller group, no handmade signs, but some lovely shots down Lexington Avenue with the Sears Tower in the mist).

Posted by Ahistoricality at October 13, 2008 09:35 AM

Sadly, we can call this election success if no one gets shot between not and then.

Posted by Lab Kat at October 13, 2008 10:00 AM

Thanks for the links, Ahistoricality. I'm guessing it was the 9/11 references that got them flipped off.

Still. It's kind of amusing how far they had to go to find "intolerance" they could use to pretend that Barack Obama's campaign is anything like McCain's.

Posted by Anne at October 14, 2008 08:19 AM

I've been thinking that myself, Lab Kat. "Just how ugly can this get," I've been asking myself.

This morning I was reading stories about the number of people who have killed themselves (or their families and themselves) recently over financial issues. So, there's already violence. Add an inflammatory campaign and I just don't know how far it might go.

Posted by Anne at October 14, 2008 08:20 AM