Comments: And then things got strange

Yeah, but was the drunk guy at the gas station cute? *g*

Posted by Dail at March 28, 2014 09:28 AM

Actually, yes, he was. :)

Posted by Anne at March 28, 2014 10:33 AM

Glad your week picked up!

Last week was fun: we did Spring Break by touring Kansas: Atchinson, Topeka, Mt. Sunflower, and Dodge City. Our version of Spring Break also involves getting to the hotel early enough to get some D&D in, which we'd not done for a while.

This week was one stupid thing after another: two stomach bugs (and one low-grade fever that didn't develop into anything else), a sewer line backup that took roto-rooter *and* plumbers to straighten out (and which I had to clean up after the overflow, which was substantial, disgusting, and hiding behind large appliances and under sinks).

I have a small stack of grading for this weekend, which is not only overdue but Monday is the last day to Withdraw....

I have Pratchett's "Dodger" on my 'bought becuase I love them but haven't gotten to read them yet' pile. Also several Murakami Harukis, a couple of food history books, Philip Pullman's trilogy... comic books I read right away. I really need to actually read more for fun, though. I realized recently that I'd gotten out of the hab it of listening to music while I work, and it's actually helping me with focus.

Well, that and the reading glasses.

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at March 28, 2014 08:13 PM

I guess if you came from Hawaii, then Kansas seems exotic enough to want to take a tour. :)

Sounds like the Week of Weirdness karma behaved like storms do--took a path eastward from Denver until it hit your area? I especially regret the plumbing yuckiness. Not enough sanitizer in the world.... (That's one area where my concern for the environment takes a back seat. I wear a face mask and rubber gloves.)

I've read all of Pratchett's Discworld books, of course, along with a fair amount of his juvenile fiction. He's an amazing writer. I haven't opened the latest volume yet--I'm savoring it, in the knowledge that it could be the last. :(

I looked up Murakami Haruki and I may add his name to my list of "writers to try." Pullman, I--tried. Just couldn't get into his stuff.

For me, comic books are like manga. Tend to get read first because they're faster. I have my own stack of "to be read" books, mostly mysteries and SF, that are waiting for me to be done with some library books that are waiting for me to finish a series I d/l to the Kindle that is waiting for the pressure of work to ease up. :)

Reading glasses....

Posted by Anne at March 31, 2014 02:19 PM

I never know whether to recommend Murakami to people: it's such odd stuff. His later work is definitely more subtle, substantial in some ways, but I'll never forget the shock and pleasure of reading his early stuff in Japanese (back when I could leisure read in Japanese). Wild Sheep Chase (In Japanese, "The Adventure That Involved Sheep") is still one of my favorite books: seriously weird, and weirdly serious (more so now that I have a better grasp on the history/politics which he's addressing. He's often considered kind of apolitically literary, but it's really not true), and a real piece of World literature, rather than just Japanese literature.

I'm taking a leap with Pullman; I haven't tried yet, but the bits I've read by people who've taken it seriously suggest that it should be my kind of stuff.

And you're right: the quickness of comic/manga reading definitely adds to it. I've been getting into more web-based stuff recently, which is interesting. Not sure how I feel about the pace of it, honestly: I like to know that an author has a plan and when I start I'll be able to finish. But sometimes the payoff is fantastic: Nimona is one that I just found recently and is coming (it seems) to a serious conclusion shortly.

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at April 1, 2014 12:48 PM

Well, I'm going to leave the name on my list but probably won't get around to it any time soon. When I'm busy at work, I need to conserve brain cells :) the rest of the time--don't have that many to spare these days.

I tried Pullman. I honestly expected to like Pullman. Just--didn't happen. I was surprised.

Have to also admit that it's been a while since I had time for comics/manga, either. I have NO problem with people being paid fairly for their work but the speed at which I read means these aren't really a good way for me to spend $$. Comics aren't enough entertainment "bang" for my buck, considering I'd need fifteen or twenty issues to make up one reading session and manga is almost as bad.

Posted by Anne at April 1, 2014 04:26 PM