Comments: Now, it's just snowing

We had a Spring Break that I described to a colleague as "a great trip, in theory"... KC comic-con and the Lincoln Museum/Home by train from st. louis. Ended up bringing people along on both who were... challenging. And the train back was a bus, due to track work, which took some of the romance out of it (but added adventure when we discovered that the driver didn't actually know where he needed to go in st. louis).

Now it's really springing here and all I can think is "Oh, lord, I'll have to mow soon."

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at March 25, 2015 11:35 AM

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at March 25, 2015 11:35 AM

Previous entry isn,t letting me comment, so:

To some extent, yes, we're just getting old, and to some extent geek-learners like us were never typical.

I don't think the "delaying adulthood" thing really applies to most students. It's more "this is required if you want a decent job, we think" so it gets tacked on as compulsory...

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at March 25, 2015 11:48 AM

Sorry about the previous entry--I really do need to upgrade to a more recent blog s/w to help me fight the comment spammers. Until I do, closing comments on posts more than a couple of weeks old is the only way to combat them.

The fact that a degree--ANY degree--seems necessary for a job these days is, I guess, both good and bad. I approve of learning for the sake of learning, obviously, but I'm definitely in the geek-learner category.

At the same time, I'm sorry to think of the experience of university as something compulsory, instead of an exciting opportunity. You're seeing it yourself--this generation isn't there because they *want* more education or because they are enthused about some particular subject. They're there because they think they have to be. That has to make it a very different experience than I had.

~*~*~*~*~

I still find myself wondering how much this "expected" extra four years of education is tied in with the idea/fact that this young generation is said to be maturing much more slowly than our generation did.

A more-or-less compulsory extra 4 years of schooling--are they simply not trying to "grow up" because they view college the way many of our generation viewed high school--required and something you do before you become an adult?

Posted by Anne at March 25, 2015 12:15 PM

I was trying to imagine how you got roped in to taking "challenging" people along on a family vacation and then it occurred to me they might have been extended family or something and not something you could go into detail about. Trips like that can be--interesting.

And public transportation can be an adventure. :D

How did the kidlet like the con and the museum, though?

Posted by Anne at March 25, 2015 12:17 PM

Good deduction....

The con was an absolute blast. I may have had more fun than anyone else, but we all came home with neat stuff -- comic books, art (now framed and hung), jewelery... I got a chainmail necktie. The kid got to see a youtube performer he knows of, and geeky music, and one of his all-time favorite cartoonists did an under-attended panel (so lots and lots of time for audience questions) and signed prints afterwards. He's ready to go to the Wichita Dr. Who con, now....

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at March 30, 2015 03:16 PM

Oh, and the Lincoln Museum is excellent. A little theme-parky for me (but I'm that kind of geek, of course) but really nicely done, with lots of historical materials. It's mostly about youth and the Presidency. Combine that with the Lincoln Home, which covers the Springfield years, and you've got a full biography.

Posted by Jonathan Dresner at March 30, 2015 03:20 PM

Well, it does sound like you managed to have some good times, in spite of--challenges. Glad to hear it! Some of my most enduring memories of my childhood are family vacations.

I've never been to a Dr Who con. Could be fun. (I'm glad that show is having a renaissance. It's another one I used to really enjoy, back in the day.)

Posted by Anne at March 31, 2015 09:32 AM