Comments: War and other problems

Well, I'm in favor of healthcare paying for in vitro, but I would be. Still childless at 45, not for lack of trying...

Posted by Elayne Riggs at September 5, 2003 04:01 PM

I'm in favor of pre-kindergarten because although public school is all about churning out people who's will to question and fight injustice has been drummed out of them, every kid needs access to the prevailing system - even it that system has problems. Also, it's hard to turn pre-schoolers into robots. You can try, but they win every time. I've seen it attempted. If pre-kindergarten helps disadvantaged kids hit the ground running in public school and keeps them able to compete with the other kids, I'm all for it.

Posted by casadelogo at September 6, 2003 11:39 AM

"...we allowed family members of one of the world's most famous terrorists to fly out of the country in the wake of 9/11 at the same time we were forbidding law-abiding citizens of this country to get near an airplane."

Sorry, not true:

"[Two] planes, one jumbo jet carrying 100 family members, and the other 40, were eventually allowed to leave when airports reopened and passports were checked."

I have no idea why this rumor is once again resurfacing. Well, actually, I do, but I try to keep my worst opinions of humanity at under control.

Posted by Andrea Harris at September 7, 2003 01:46 AM

Check: http://www.msnbc.com/news/963025.asp?0sl=-10&cp1=1 for confirmation that the government allowed the flights to take place. As far as who was on them, the government isn't denying there were bin Laden family members, which, from this Administration, is tantamount to an admission.

Posted by Anne at September 8, 2003 09:12 AM

Never mind. I guess you didn't bother to read the link I sent you. One teevee show "rushed" transcript over Snopes careful -- and continuing -- research. Okay. Whatever you say.

Posted by Andrea Harris at September 8, 2003 07:42 PM

Most of what the Snopes report was "debunking" wasn't what I was saying, so it was irrelevant.

I quoted an interview with a prominent government official who might be expected to know a little more about what was going on than the people at Snopes.

Posted by Anne at September 9, 2003 08:11 AM

Elayne - My question wasn't about whether or not healthcare should pa6 for in vitro. I know, I expressed myself badly. I was musing over whether, in this country, public funds should be used. Should, for instance, Medicaid pay for in vitro for those who can't afford private healthcare but want to get pregnant?

Posted by Anne at September 9, 2003 11:15 AM